turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bocenters

I just realized I haven't reported my Fair Market Value on my IRA for the last three years how do I do that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I just realized I haven't reported my Fair Market Value on my IRA for the last three years how do I do that?

On an income tax return only distributions and contributions to an IRA are reported ... the FMV is not needed unless you need to file a form 8606 to report basis on a distribution and if so the program would have requested that entry.  

dmertz
Level 15

Unfortunately, when TurboTax prepares Form 8606 Part I in regard to a traditional IRA distribution, TurboTax does not enforce the requirement to enter the year-end balance in traditional IRAs and it's all too easy to bypass the question that asks for it.  TurboTax simply treats the missing value as zero, producing an inaccurate tax return when the true value is not zero.  Requests that TurboTax flag as an error any missing year end balance when the balance is required for the calculation, even if the balance is zero, have been ignored.  Erroneous calculations based on a missing year-end value are deemed to be user error.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies