turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a Form SSA-1099 how do I go about entering the information when I’m filing my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

I have a Form SSA-1099 how do I go about entering the information when I’m filing my taxes?

The original article can be found here. Alternatively, you can read below:

Forms SSA-1099 report benefits from the Social Security Administration (SSA).

All SSA-1099 forms get entered in the same place:

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax if it's not already open.
  2. In TurboTax, search for the term social security benefits and then select the Jump to link at the top of your search results.

3. On the Social Security Benefits screen, answer Yes and select Continue.
  4. Check the first box, then enter the amounts from your form(s) where indicated.
    • If you received multiple SSA-1099s, add up the amounts for each box and enter them together.
    • Do not include SSA-1099s for dependents. Those should be reported on the dependent's return, but only if they are required to file a return (this is uncommon).
  5. Select Continue and follow the onscreen instructions.

We'll calculate what portion, if any, of your Social Security benefits are taxable. If your only income is from Social Security, you probably don't make enough money to be required to file a return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

The original article can be found here. Alternatively, you can read below:

Forms SSA-1099 report benefits from the Social Security Administration (SSA).

All SSA-1099 forms get entered in the same place:

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax if it's not already open.
  2. In TurboTax, search for the term social security benefits and then select the Jump to link at the top of your search results.

3. On the Social Security Benefits screen, answer Yes and select Continue.
  4. Check the first box, then enter the amounts from your form(s) where indicated.
    • If you received multiple SSA-1099s, add up the amounts for each box and enter them together.
    • Do not include SSA-1099s for dependents. Those should be reported on the dependent's return, but only if they are required to file a return (this is uncommon).
  5. Select Continue and follow the onscreen instructions.

We'll calculate what portion, if any, of your Social Security benefits are taxable. If your only income is from Social Security, you probably don't make enough money to be required to file a return.

Do not try to enter your SSA1099  or RR1099RB as a W-2.  Go to Federal> Wages & Income>>Retirement Plans and Social Security  (SSA1099 and 1099RRB) to enter your SSA1099.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
BobPli

Turbo Tan form does not provide Box 3 to enter the info provide by SSA. Help!!!

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Box 5 is equal to the amount in Box 3 minus the amount in Box 4.

So in the normal case (i.e., box 5 is a positive value), that's all you need to enter (well, that and box 6). 

Up to 85% of Social Security becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security, reaches:

Married Filing Jointly: $32,000

Single or head of household: $25,000

Married Filing Separately: 0

Social Security is on 1040 line 5a and the taxable amount on 5b.

To see the Social Security Benefits Calculation Worksheet  in Turbo Tax Online version you would have to save your return with all the worksheets to your computer.  Or if you are using the Desktop program you can switch to Forms Mode (click Forms in the upper right) and click on SS in the list on the left side.

KennethDay
Returning Member

When i try to enter the information in the boxes a blue dot appears and the form will not accept the information.

what can i do to override this blue dot business?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If you are using Turbo Tax Online, the most likely reason for buttons that don't work or not being able to enter information is that something in the web browser is not displaying the page properly.

One way around this is to simply use a different web browser.  You can select from Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari.  

OR, try closing TurboTax, clear your Cache and Cookies and revisit the 1099-SSA entry page.

Click this link for more info on How to Enter Social Security Benefits (SSA-1099).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies