Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a 1099-R form for a roth withdrawl that was actually just a manual transfer to another roth account. How do I specify that so it doesn't add taxable income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

I have a 1099-R form for a roth withdrawl that was actually just a manual transfer to another roth account. How do I specify that so it doesn't add taxable income?

To enter your 1099-R Rollover information, follow these steps:

1. Search for 1099-R and select the Jump to link in the search results.
  2. Enter the information from your 1099-R form and answer the questions about the rollover.
  3. When asked What did you do with the money from (bank)? select I moved the money to another retirement account (or returned it to the same retirement account) and I rolled over all of this money.

If taxes were withheld in Box 4 of your form, they'll either be added to your refund or applied to your tax liability.

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ss60

I have 2 1099-R's for the same money.  Moved 401k from prior employer to Traditional IRA and then moved that same money from Traditional IRA to Roth IRA.  When I answer all the questions correctly the summary "doubles" the money as income.  It is the same money, 2 transactions.

One is not taxable, the move from traditional ira to Roth IRA is taxable (which I was made aware of).

@ss60 wrote:

I have 2 1099-R's for the same money.  Moved 401k from prior employer to Traditional IRA and then moved that same money from Traditional IRA to Roth IRA.  When I answer all the questions correctly the summary "doubles" the money as income.  It is the same money, 2 transactions.

One is not taxable, the move from traditional ira to Roth IRA is taxable (which I was made aware of).

It will show as income on the summary screen which shows gross income, not taxable income.

The IRS requires reporting all income on a *income* tax return - taxable and not-taxable.  As far as the IRS is concerned they are both "income" even if the same money.

The income will be reported on line 4a and 4b on the 1040 form with the word “ROLLOVER” next to it if it was a rollover.

The taxable amount will go on the 1040 line 4b.  In the case of a rollover, nothing goes on 4b.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies