turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I had an early IRA distribution. I used the monies to purchase property abroad outside US territory. Do I need to report this? Is the distribution fully taxable?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I had an early IRA distribution. I used the monies to purchase property abroad outside US territory. Do I need to report this? Is the distribution fully taxable?

Yes, it must be reported, and is likely taxable for Federal (if a Traditional IRA), plus subject to an additional 10% penalty for early withdrawal, plus state taxes as applicable.  Enter the 1099-R here:

Federal > Wages and Income > Retirement.

This an expensive way to buy property.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Possibly, if you've had the account for more than 5 years, you won't be subject to taxes or penalties when withdrawing earnings for a first-time home purchase (up to $10,000).  Distributions above that are taxable.  You will have to report the distribution on your tax return.

Here's how to enter your 1099-R in TurboTax:

1. Open (continue) your return, if you don't already have it open
  2. Locate the Search bar by the magnifying glass icon. Search for 1099-R and select the Jump to link in the search results
  3. Answer Yes on the Did you get a 1099-R? screen
    • If you land on the Review your 1099-R info screen instead, select Add Another 1099-R
  4. Answer any questions until you get to the screen Let's import your tax info. Here you can choose how you want to enter your 1099-R:
    • If your financial institution is a TurboTax 1099 partner, you can import your form. Select your institution from the list and enter your sign-in credentials, then select Get my form to start the import process
    • If you prefer to upload your 1099-R or type in the info yourself, select Change how I enter my form. On the next screen, select your preferred entry method
  5. Continue answering the questions to enter or review the info from your 1099-R

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies