turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

adas88

I got $20,000 in cash gifts from 500+ guests at my wedding ceremony in India. I am now back in the US and plan to deposit the entire 20K. What are my tax implications?

I declared the amount at customs.
I'm also vaguely aware of the Bank Secrecy Act where deposit north of 10K must be reported to the IRS.
I understand as the gift receiver, I don't have to bear the burden of the tax, but wanted to confirm.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

I got $20,000 in cash gifts from 500+ guests at my wedding ceremony in India. I am now back in the US and plan to deposit the entire 20K. What are my tax implications?

You are correct, you do not need to report the cash gifts from your wedding as income.  Your bank can assist you with any filing requirements for deposits (I believe it is their responsibility to file, but they will confirm this with you.) 

Congratulations and best wishes on your marriage! 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

A similar question - does this also include checks received as gifts?

DianeC958
Expert Alumni

Yes, it does.  This is not income you need to report on your tax return, since they are gifts. Any individual can give you up to $15,000 before any gift tax needs to be paid.

The Gift Tax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies