turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mms0121

I converted a tradional IRA to a Roth back in 1998. How long do I need to keep the records for that conversion?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I converted a tradional IRA to a Roth back in 1998. How long do I need to keep the records for that conversion?

There is nothing you need to keep from a transaction that old. 

dmertz
Level 15

I would keep the 1998 Form 5498 from the Roth IRA forever.  This form substantiates your basis in Roth conversions if you make a distribution from your Roth IRAs prior to age 59½.  After age 59½ this form substantiates that you had a Roth IRA long enough ago that any distribution from your Roth IRAs would be a qualified distribution.

I agree.  My general advice on how long to keep ANY tax related document is to let your heirs dispose of them.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

The form 5498 should always be kept in your IRA paperwork file and should remain there as long as the account is open ... the actual tax returns can be destroyed after 5 years ... keeping a lifetime of tax returns is not necessary.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies