turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I can’t file my 2020 state return for Wisconsin, it states their is an error with form 1 for early withdrawal penalties? Is there a way to fix this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

52 Replies

I can’t file my 2020 state return for Wisconsin, it states their is an error with form 1 for early withdrawal penalties? Is there a way to fix this?

You'll likely need to provide more info before anyone can help you.   If someone is not familiar with a Wisconsin state return in this user community forum, we can tell you how to phone TurboTax Support.

Since you appear to be using the online Self-Employed Edition, I'll assume you are asking about a personal tax return.

First of all, what kind of early withdrawal penalty--and from what???   Are you asking about a retirement plan (what kind), an ordinary CD, or what?

Are you able to post the exact error message?

I'm having the same issues as the penalty is associated with retirement withdrawal and the COVID exception. It reads: Penalties on IRA, We're still working on updates related to penalties on IRAs, retirements, MSA distributions (Form 1099-R) that qualify for disaster or covid relief.  You can keep working on your return and we'll remove this message when it's ready.

Do you know when this will be ready?

@ ymtja1983 wrote:

I'm having the same issues as the penalty is associated with retirement withdrawal and the COVID exception. It reads: Penalties on IRA, We're still working on updates related to penalties on IRAs, retirements, MSA distributions (Form 1099-R) that qualify for disaster or covid relief.  You can keep working on your return and we'll remove this message when it's ready.

Do you know when this will be ready?

So your issue is also in regard to a Wisconsin state form?

Sorry, I don't know if it's ready or not in regards to any Covid exception waiver on penalties on retirement issues related to disaster or Covid relief, but I will tell you how you may be able to find out below.  

But first, are you using the desktop product (CD/download)?   If so, be sure your product is up to date.   Have you updated your product with the latest program updates?

I'll see if one of the forum helpers familiar with retirement situations might be able to comment on this penalty waiver in regards to disaster or Covid relief, if not specifically in regards to Wisconsin, then perhaps in general.

@ dmertz  When you are next in the forum, are you familiar with this issue of retirement plan withdrawal and penalty waiver due to Covid and have any word for the user?   Thanks!

If you don't get help in this user community forum, here's how to speak to the folks at TurboTax Support.

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern) 7 days/week.

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Or use this contact form to get a phone number:
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

I am using the online version so I assume it would be the latest version.  I've tried and called support and they keep sending me to a tax advisor which I don't have access to as I don't have the deluxe version.  The issue is not with how to do the taxes but when the form will be updated and available to file for state.

dmertz
Level 15

Support for From 8915-E has been released in the online version of TurboTax, but not yet in the CD/download version.

I suggest deleting and reentering any Forms 1099-R that you received for a coronavirus-related distribution.

In the online version, on the page that asks, "Do any of these situations apply to you?," mark the first box to indicate that you took the money out because of a qualified disaster, then answer the questions related to COVID-19.  This should eliminate any federal early-distribution penalty and allow you to spread this income evenly over three years.

I have no way of knowing if this penalty exception will propagate properly to the Wisconsin tax return.  It seems that it should since Wisconsin's early-distribution penalty is calculated as 1/3 of the federal penalty.  1/3 of a $0 federal penalty would be a $0 Wisconsin penalty.

I've deleted and re-entered the necessary information, the same error still pops up. Does anyone know when the WI Form 1 will be updated?  WI state forms state the form is available on Turbo Tax but the form is still being updated.  Looking for a time frame as to when this will be updated.

dgibboney

I am having the same issue.  I waited for the Federal one to come up in Turbo Tax, now it stops me when I try and complete my WI form.  I would also be interested in when this will be updated in Turbo Tax so that I can complete and file.

I have the same issue.  Federal 8915-E works properly, but the WI Form 1 is still showing the 10% early withdrawal penalty.  When will this be corrected on the state form?

We5437

I’m having the exact same issue. Waited for federal form 8915 and thought the early withdrawal penalty issue was resolved. Now I’m getting the form 1 error message for

the state of Wisconsin that provides no guidance other than “just keep working on your return!”Theres nothing left for me to work on! Ugh!!! 

Just got off the phone with TT. Wisconsin update is supposed to be done on 3/15/21. 

Going to try the free e-file on the WI website can't be that difficult. ... Right?

Good luck

SamS1
Expert Alumni

Have you tried deleting your WI state return and re-adding since the update has been made?  Sometimes if you are having problems with a a state return, it is beneficial to just delete the state return then re-add it and go back through all the questions again.  This may help.  

Deleting the state return doesn't work in this case. Well not for me anyway. Actually, just deleted it again so I could e-file my federal return by itself.

Again, according to Turbotax Help the Wisconsin issue (1099r / 8915e) will be fixed by 3/15/21.

Thank you for working with TT to determine the 3/15 date. I am also waiting (impatiently) for this message to clear so I can file! 

Same problem.. Wisconsin here also.  Guess we will find out tomorrow if its really fixed or not.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies