turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jlilya

I am 58, retired on Affordable Care Act. wondering if my Roth IRA withdrawal will affect my subsidy. The withdrawal came from non-contribution funds (investment returns)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I am 58, retired on Affordable Care Act. wondering if my Roth IRA withdrawal will affect my subsidy. The withdrawal came from non-contribution funds (investment returns)

The withdrawals come from contributions first ... only then do you invade the earnings.  You can take out the contributions tax free at any time and they will not be taxable so they are not part of your AGI ... this will not affect the Marketplace insurance. https://www.healthcare.gov/income-and-household-information/income/#magi

dmertz
Level 15

jlilya, you said that the distribution came from investment returns.  This could only happen if you had already (or concurrently) received distributions of all of your regular contributions and Roth conversions made to Roth IRAs.

If the distribution indeed included amounts attributable to earnings in your Roth IRAs, that amount is taxable and is generally subject to an early-distribution penalty.  Being taxable, it adds to your AGI which is used to determine your eligibility for Premium Tax Credits under the ACA.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies