turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I know if I should select the general rule on my distribution from my 401k and I am retired and live off of this money I withdraw?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

How do I know if I should select the general rule on my distribution from my 401k and I am retired and live off of this money I withdraw?

You pay tax on your 401-k withdrawals at your regular tax rate. The general rule applies to pensions and annuities. 

dmertz
Level 15

Unless the 401(k) plan has lost their records of any after-tax money in your 401(k), the Form 1099-R will show the actual taxable amount in box 2a and box 2b Taxable amount not determined will not be marked.  In addition to the General Rule not being applicable to distributions from a 401(k), the Simplified Method should not be used unless the distributions are periodic distributions and either box 2b Taxable amount is marked or you wish to dispute the taxable amount shown in box 2a and you will provide your evidence to the IRS as to why the amount in box 2a is wrong.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies