turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Headd of the Hosehold

  1. I would like to know if my daughter can claim me Head of the Household.  She pays the rent and rest of my expenses - including cell phone and car insurance.  I am 83 and my income, excluding Social Security, is about $1300/per year.  Would she also be able to claim me as a dependent?
3 Replies

Headd of the Hosehold

Yes, your daughter can file as head of household and claim you as a dependent.


To qualify, you must meet certain criteria. To file as head of household, you must:

  • Pay for more than half of the household expenses
  • Be considered unmarried on the last day of the tax year, and
  • You must have a qualifying child or dependent.

This tax filing status includes single parents and divorced or legally separated parents. Further, you can also be an adult who provides support for a parent or other relative under qualifying circumstances.

Here is another article about it: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/family/steps-to-claiming-an-elderly-parent-as-a-dependent/L34je... 

Your parent must first meet income requirements set by the Internal Revenue Service to be claimed as your dependent. To qualify as a dependent,

  • Your parent must not have earned or received more than the gross income test limit for the tax year.
  • This amount is determined by the IRS and may change from year to year.
  • The gross income limit for 2022 is $4,400.
  • Generally, you do not count Social Security income, but there are exceptions. If your parent has other income from interest or dividends, a portion of the Social Security may also be taxable

Thank you,





Employee Tax Expert

Headd of the Hosehold

Hi Challett916!
Thank you for this excellent question!

Please allow me to chime in with my two cents worth!

The answer really depends on whether your daughter meets the test for supporting you or not. To be her dependent, your daughter needs to provide more that 50% of the cost in maintaining support for you. That task is easier if she lives with you and/or pays more than 50% of your expenses. Based on the information provided, Your income is $15,600. Since you really do not have to live in the home with her, she would need to spend $7801 for care and housing for your benefit. If you were to save any of that amount, your daughter's spending will be less.

Here is a Support Worksheet that could be helpful to you!




Have a Wonderful Year!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Employee Tax Expert

Headd of the Hosehold

Hi @challett916 !


Thanks for your question! I'd be happy to give you some guidance.


Your daughter may be able to file as Head of Household with you as her dependent, if the following are all true for 2023 (I am assuming you are talking about the 2023 tax return which will be filed in 2024).


  1. You did not earn more than $4,700 for 2023 (not including social security income).
  2. She provided more than half of your support for 2023 (note: to determine this, you must consider whether your social security income plus the $1,300 you mentioned is less than the support she provided).
  3. You are a US citizen, US national, US resident alien,  or resident of Canada or Mexico.
  4. You are not a qualifying dependent of anyone else.

Here are two excellent articles that provide further discussion on this topic:

I hope this information is helpful, @challett916 ! I'll stay tuned in case you have a follow-up question. Thanks again!


**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies