turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can someone tell me why 1099R input boxes are numbered wrong, or don't match my 1099R?

can someone tell me why 1099R input boxes are numbered wrong, or don't match my 1099R?  For example Turbo Tax has Box 13 - Date of Payment and my 1099R has Box 13 as State/Payer's state number.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DaveF1006
Employee Tax Expert

Can someone tell me why 1099R input boxes are numbered wrong, or don't match my 1099R?

it sounds like your 1099-R is a pension distribution from a federal or state agency. If so, you will need to delete the 1099-R yo completed and submit a new one to report it as a CSA-1099-R. I will include a screenshot showing you how to make this entry.

Keep in mind, if this is from the federal pension, the name and address will be the Office of Personnel Management by default. If this was issued by a state, then you may need to change the name and address of the payer in the Turbo Tax program. Meanwhile, this screenshot will show you how to make the CSA-1099R selection.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@joseph8517 wrote:
can someone tell me why 1099R input boxes are numbered wrong, or don't match my 1099R?  For example Turbo Tax has Box 13 - Date of Payment and my 1099R has Box 13 as State/Payer's state number.

If not a CSA-1099-R,

Is your 1099-R a 2020 1099-R or a 2019 1099-R?

The IRS added 2 new boxes for 2020 and renumbered boxes 12-14 to 14-16.   It sounds like you have an old 1099-R with the old 2019 numbers.

Box 13  State/Payer's state number is now box 15.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@joseph8517    If it is  a standard/plain 2020 1099-R  (NOT a CSA-, or CSF- or RRB-1099-R) , but thus, has those boxes numbered wrong, please  let us know who issued it so we can help others navigate the issue.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies