turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can someone help please-i have a 1099r from my insurance company that i have to report on an amended return. do you report the gross distribution as income or the taxable

amount as income. ie: gross 12000 taxable amount 4000.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can someone help please-i have a 1099r from my insurance company that i have to report on an amended return. do you report the gross distribution as income or the taxable

You should have received a 1099-R for that.  IF you didn't, call the Ins Co and get one.

You just enter the 1099-R as you see it.   Bothe numbers go into the software form..

From what you posted here, there will likely be 12K into box 1 and 4k into box 2a, and probably 8k into box 5, but you need to enter whatever is on your paper 1099-R.....along with any other entries you see on the form, especially the box 7 code.

Yes, only the 4k of $$ in box 2a should end up being the taxable income....but that is dealt with by the software as long as you enter the 1099-R as-is, and properly answer all of the follow-up questions after the main form during the interview for the 1099-R.

BUT, you need to wait a week or two for the Amended software forms to be finalized.....they are not really ready yet....and could be delayed further with all the COVID legislation affecting all kinds of stuff.   Don't rush it.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You should have received a 1099-R for that.  IF you didn't, call the Ins Co and get one.

You just enter the 1099-R as you see it.   Bothe numbers go into the software form..

From what you posted here, there will likely be 12K into box 1 and 4k into box 2a, and probably 8k into box 5, but you need to enter whatever is on your paper 1099-R.....along with any other entries you see on the form, especially the box 7 code.

Yes, only the 4k of $$ in box 2a should end up being the taxable income....but that is dealt with by the software as long as you enter the 1099-R as-is, and properly answer all of the follow-up questions after the main form during the interview for the 1099-R.

BUT, you need to wait a week or two for the Amended software forms to be finalized.....they are not really ready yet....and could be delayed further with all the COVID legislation affecting all kinds of stuff.   Don't rush it.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies