turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

alex904
Returning Member

All of my income is foreign earned. getting an error on the ira contribution saying that i need to pay a penalty because it's greater than my earned income. what do i do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

All of my income is foreign earned. getting an error on the ira contribution saying that i need to pay a penalty because it's greater than my earned income. what do i do?

Foreign excluded income is not eligible for IRA contributions.

See IRS Pub 590A:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p590a#en_US_2019_publink1000230355

What Isn’t Compensation?

Any amounts (other than combat pay) you exclude from income, such as foreign earned income and housing costs.

I assume that this was a 2019 contribution so the deadline to remove it without penalty has passed and you will owe a 6% penalty on the 2019 excess that REPEATS each year until the excess is removed with a normal distribution.    That means the excess must be removed before Dec 31, 2020 or there will be ANOTHER 2020 6% penalty.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
alex904
Returning Member

You are partially right and this is something I didn't realize before. However, if I go in and not include the amount I contributed into the IRA into the FEIE, I am still getting an error telling me there is an excess contribution. As I understand it, this is not supposed to happen since the amount of my income outside of the FEIE is equal to the amount of my contribution. Any thoughts? Thanks.

You are posing from the self-employed  edition so according to the IRS link I posted, the eligible self-employed income is the *net* income (schedule 1 line 3) *minus* the deductible part of the SE tax (schedule 1 line 14).

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
alex904
Returning Member

Where do I find those numbers? I can't see any of the forms before I fix the IRA contribution error.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies