turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-R: Retirement income from one state, but we live in another state. Box #13 shows resident state tax number. Do we pay resident state tax on nonresident retirement?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

1099-R: Retirement income from one state, but we live in another state. Box #13 shows resident state tax number. Do we pay resident state tax on nonresident retirement?

If your resident state taxes retirement income on 1099-R forms, then yes...Resident state income and taxes.

You worked all your life for a company in NY, and then retired to New Mexico?   It's only taxed by New Mexico.

A 1099-R from anywhere is only taxed by your resident state.....Only exception is the year you moved....if you started getting retirement payments before moving, then you have to allocate the income to whichever state you lived in at the time the $$ were issued  (usually monthly) for that year.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If your resident state taxes retirement income on 1099-R forms, then yes...Resident state income and taxes.

You worked all your life for a company in NY, and then retired to New Mexico?   It's only taxed by New Mexico.

A 1099-R from anywhere is only taxed by your resident state.....Only exception is the year you moved....if you started getting retirement payments before moving, then you have to allocate the income to whichever state you lived in at the time the $$ were issued  (usually monthly) for that year.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
haleygirl

The nonresident state withdrew taxes from my retirement income.  What happens to that tax?? Do I file a return in the nonresident state to see if I get any back?

AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you can file a non-resident return showing no income to get the tax back. Alert the company to withhold taxes for the proper state or none at all. You will want to either make estimated payments to the state or have extra taken from your job, social security, etc.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies