turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-R received on IRA cash out that was opened using "Taxed" money from savings

About five years ago I opened an IRA using approx. $9,000.00 in "Taxed" money that I had in a savings account that I was closing.

About six months ago I closed the IRA account due to poor performance and received about $8,800.00.

The broker send me a 1099-R Form for tax year 2020 for a taxable amount of $8,800.00.

I don't understand why I need to pay taxes on this money since I have already paid the tax on it when it was earned.

Am I missing a form, etc.

Thanks for any help and/or direction.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

1099-R received on IRA cash out that was opened using "Taxed" money from savings

The broker doesn't know if you took a tax deduction for the contributions or not  They have no way to know what your basis is.  They are just indicating that it is a taxable distribution, but the amount you will be taxed on is dependent upon your cost basis.  When you made the IRA contribution, you should have filed a Form 8606 - Nondeductible IRAs.  This form notifies the IRS that you are making a non-deductible IRA contribution.  Form 8606 is also used to report non-taxable distributions from an IRA.  To trigger Form 8606 in TurboTax:

• Open your return if it isn't already open.
  • Click on Search, and type this exact phrase, including the comma: "8606, nondeductible ira contributions
  • Click on "Jump to 8606 ...."
  • Continue through the IRA section
  • When you reach the screen "Any nondeductible contributions to your IRA?  Answer Yes, then continue.  TurboTax will generate and fill out Form 8606.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you.

I gave it a try and once I filled out and saved the 8606 form it brought everything into line the way it should be.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies