Public Safety officer
Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Public Safety officer

I'm a retired public safety officer. Once I became eligible for Medicare, my employer had me take supplemental insurance where as they paid half and I pay half. It is not taken out of my retirement check. My portion is automatically deducted from my savings account. Can I still claim the health premium deduction since I'm still paying for it, just not thru my retirement check?

1 Reply
Level 6

Public Safety officer

Yes, you can claim the health insurance premium that you paid out of your savings account as Medical expenses if you itemize your deductions.

For tax year 2018, Medical Expenses are subject to the 7.5% rule and you can only claim the excess over 7.5% of your Adjusted Gross Income.

Please note that Itemized Deductions will only "help" when they exceed your standard deduction.

For 2018, standard deductions are:

For a taxpayer under 65, not claimed as a dependent

  • $12,000 for Single
  • $24,000 for Married Filing Jointly, or Qualifying Widow(er) with dependent child
  • $18,000 for Head of Household
  • $12,000 for Married Filing Separately
  • If you are over 65 or blind, add $1,300 for each instance if married or add $1,600 each instance if single or head of household

In TurboTax, you can enter Medical expenses by following these steps:

  • In TurboTax, open your tax return
  • Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Deductions & Credits on top of the screen
  • Scroll down to All Tax breaks, locate the section Medical and click on Show more
  • Click Start next to Medical Expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic Ads
Privacy Settings