Upsetting

Program does not ask what I did with my RMD.

macuser_22

Answered in comments.

MichaelL1

Only question it should ask was it a Direct donation to charity.  Did you do this?
Upsetting

The "jump to" guidance seems to indicate that several questions will be asked... it doesn't. I made a direct rollover with my RMD and want to indicate that if it makes a tax difference.
macuser_22

No part of a RMD is eligible to be rolled over which is why the question is not asked.

Only if you took a distribution that was in *excess* of the RMD could the *excess* be rolled over, but any part of a RMD that is put into any other tax deferred retirement account is an excess contribution to that account and subject to a reoccurring 6% per year penalty until removed.   

Putting the RMD into a taxable brokerage account is not a rollover.
Upsetting

Thank you. Is the answer the same if the RMD is invested in a CA Tax Free Bond Fund?
macuser_22

As long as the  CA Tax Free Bond Fund is not held withing a tax deferred retirement account such as another IRA and is just in a regular brokerage account, then that is not a rollover, it is simply investing the money.    A tax free bond is not a tax deferred retirement plan, it is simply an investment.
Upsetting

Thanks again.
macuser_22

Answered in comments.