turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dshill1

Pension distribution

I receive a monthly pension from my former employer that is reported to me on a 1099 R form.  When I enter this information into Turbotax it wants to know if I received a required annual minimum distribution as if the payment was coming from an IRA or 401 K.  There is no minimum distribution from a qualified pension plan.  How do I answer the minimum distribution question?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Pension distribution

Say all of it is the RMD.  If you are 70 1/2 it will ask you if it is the RMD.  Say yes.  Anything your pension pays you is considered to be the  RMD.

dshill1

Pension distribution

Thank you

noseflute

Pension distribution

Is there some logical reason that there are all sorts of ways to enter IRAs, Roths, etc., but no straightforward , simple way to enter state pension info for payments we get every month without making any monthly payments into a plan?  I can pretend everything is an RMD, but then get rewarded by another form to fill out with info I don't have.  I can't believe all pension plan reporting has to be this difficult.

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Pension distribution

Form 1099-R is truly more complex than it appears on the surface and can report distributions from many different types of accounts.  Unfortunately, in order to be sure that your distribution is treated correctly with respect to your tax return, there are lots of follow-up questions that must be asked.  It cannot be as simple as entering a W-2 because the tax laws vary greatly from one type of account to another.

If you have a specific question that you need help with for your situation, please ask it here.  Someone will certainly try to answer it for you.

@noseflute

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies