turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bpatel008

Should I claim what I paid for my pregnant wife to my mother in law?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You do not have anything to claim on your tax return.  Paying your mother-in-law to help with your child cannot be claimed for the child and dependent care credit because your wife was not working.  In order to claim the child and dependent care credit it must be so that both parents can work--your wife was at home.   You cannot claim it for the help she gave your wife, since your wife is not your dependent.  This was a personal expense.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Paid to her for what exactly?
bpatel008

Paid to her as dependent care expense because my mother in law was lived with me while my wife was pregnant and she is taking care of my wife in her last two months of pregnancy, same for my child as well when my son born my mother in law is taking care of him in last three months of 2017. I gave some cash money to my mother in law fpr this care.

Did you pay your MIL for the childcare so that you and your wife could both work?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
bpatel008

I worked but my wife did not work for last two month of pregnancy and so on. From september to december 2017
bpatel008

So my MIL took care both of them

You do not have anything to claim on your tax return.  Paying your mother-in-law to help with your child cannot be claimed for the child and dependent care credit because your wife was not working.  In order to claim the child and dependent care credit it must be so that both parents can work--your wife was at home.   You cannot claim it for the help she gave your wife, since your wife is not your dependent.  This was a personal expense.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies