turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Over-contribution to 401K in 2018

Had already filed Fed and CA 2018 returns. Received letter on 4/9/19 stating I over-contributed $4,147 to 401K in 2018 --along with a reimbursement check. Letter said I would receive a 1099R by Jan. 2020. Do I have to amend 2018 return or simply report over-contribution on 2019 return?

2 Replies
Expert Alumni

Over-contribution to 401K in 2018

Yes, you need to Amend your 2018 Tax Return to include the excess contribution to your 401(K) as wages on your Tax Return.  You can click here for instructions on Amending your tax return: How to Change a Tax Return You Already Filed.  

Once you start the Amendment process, follow these steps to add your excess 401(K) contribution to your wages: 

  • Click on the "Federal Taxes" Tab
  • Click on the "Wages & Income" Tab
  • Click on "I'll choose what I work on"
  • Scroll down to "Less Common Income" and click "Show More"
  • Select "Miscellaneous Income" and click "Start or Update"
  • Select "Other income not already reported on a Form W-2 or Form 1099" and click on "Start"
  • Answer the Question "Did you receive any other wages?  Yes"
  • Click "Continue" through the questions until you get to "Any Other Earned Income"
  • Answer "Yes" to "Did you earn any other wages?"
  • Indicate "Other" as "Source" of Other Earned Income and click "Continue"
  • For the description enter "2018 Excess 401K Deferrals" and click on "Done"

You will receive a Form 1099-R in 2019 with a code P in box 7 which you can ignore if the excess deferral is reported as suggested above.  However, the earnings (if any) will be reported on a separate 2019 Form 1099-R with a Code "8" in Box 7 that should be reported on your 2019 tax return.

New Member

Over-contribution to 401K in 2018

I did the above, but I keep getting a Needs Review message in TurboTax. It won't let me e-sign with the 12b item showing more than $18,500. I would think the above income reporting would help resolve that line item. Any ideas?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies