alandpat

Our joint income comes from Social Security and pensions. I show $27269 after standard deduction. You show $17,000

kerriP

Without seeing your information, (which I can not), I suspect that only a portion , (f any) of your social security benefits are being included in your taxable income.  Here is why:

The taxability of Social Security Benefits depends upon: 

1. your filing status
  2. the total amount of your income and benefits for the year

For Married filing joint the base amount for determining if social security benefits are taxable is  $32,000.

Calculation:  Add 1/2 of your social security benefits (for both you and your wife) to your other income, and compare to the base amount above.  If the total is more than the base amount ($32,000) some of your social security benefits may be taxable.  If less,  then your social security benefits are not taxable.  

For more information see : Social Security  (hold down the control key while you click)