turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My employer puts my H&W into a 401(k) because I did not purchase their health insurance. Does this amount qualify as a Retirement Contribution Credit?

My employer puts my H&W into a 401(k) because I did not purchase their health insurance. Does this amount qualify as a Retirement Contribution Credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Only your own contributions into a 401(k) or other plan "count" for purposes of the Credit for Qualified Retirement Savings Contributions (Form 8880). Amounts contributed by your employer, for whatever reason, do not help you qualify for the credit.

The credit is calculated nearly automatically based on your income and the Code D in Box 12 of your W2.

You are not eligible if your Adjusted Gross Income is more than $30,750 ($46,125 if head of household; $61,500 if married filing jointly).

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8880.pdf

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Only your own contributions into a 401(k) or other plan "count" for purposes of the Credit for Qualified Retirement Savings Contributions (Form 8880). Amounts contributed by your employer, for whatever reason, do not help you qualify for the credit.

The credit is calculated nearly automatically based on your income and the Code D in Box 12 of your W2.

You are not eligible if your Adjusted Gross Income is more than $30,750 ($46,125 if head of household; $61,500 if married filing jointly).

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8880.pdf

Thank you!
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

You're welcome!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies