turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

One of my 1099-R amounts is not being added to line 4a of the Federal Form 1040. Line 4b is correct.

@Marfels wrote:

I agree.  I can't get past the review because Turbo Tax says that my taxable amount is greater than my gross.

This is an old thread from 2019.

Is this a NY return by any chance?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

One of my 1099-R amounts is not being added to line 4a of the Federal Form 1040. Line 4b is correct.

My Massachusetts Teacher's Retirement pension pay out is placed in line 4B when it should be on line 5B as a pension NOT an IRA distribution.  How do I fix that? It also screws up my MA taxes because MA does NOT tax teacher's pensions, but it gets carried over from the Federal as a TAXABLE IRA and gets taxed!

BillM223
Expert Alumni

"My Massachusetts Teacher's Retirement pension pay out is placed in line 4B when it should be on line 5B as a pension NOT an IRA distribution."

When you entered the 1099-R into TurboTax for this pension, did you accidentally check "This is an IRA" box? It is unlikely that TurboTax assigned your 1099-R to the wrong line, because everybody would have noticed this.

"It also screws up my MA taxes because MA does NOT tax teacher's pensions, but it gets carried over from the Federal as a TAXABLE IRA and gets taxed!"

In many cases, when you have entered your state of residence (like MA) and you have correctly indicated that this 1099-R is a pension and not an IRA, then TurboTax often (not always, but often enough to go look) asks you in the screens after you have entered the 1099-R data what the source of the pension is. This should be your opportunity to tell TurboTax that this is MA Teacher's Retirement.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Frank145
Returning Member

I am having a similar issue..I am entering a 1099R for a pension....  I am NOT checking the box that it is an IRA.

Turbo TAx is listing it as an IRA and prompting questions about was a RMD taken?   I have deleted the 1099R 3 times and started over.... still doing the same thing.   Any ideas on a solution?

Where is Turbo Tax listing it as a IRA?  Is it on line 4 instead of 5?  Or just because it's asking if you took the RMD?  Say all of it is the RMD.  If you are 72  it will ask you if it is the RMD.  Say yes.  Anything your pension pays you is considered to be the  RMD.  Traditional pensions automatically fulfill the rules of an RMD. Don't worry about that.

Frank145
Returning Member

Thank you....that worked....i have been using Turbo Tax for years...never got asked that in the past.   92 years old so no idea what happened this year.....  thanks again!!!

That's odd.  It should have asked you every year since you turned 70 1/2.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies