turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

me000725

On my SSA-1099 Box 5 shows 25,616.80 net benefits. But as an employee my SS Deductions were 3363.91 according to my last pay stub in 2016. Can I deduct that?

In other words, my true 'net benefit' was 25616.80 minus 3363.91 or $22252.89 and shouldn't I report that amount?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

On my SSA-1099 Box 5 shows 25,616.80 net benefits. But as an employee my SS Deductions were 3363.91 according to my last pay stub in 2016. Can I deduct that?

You have to report the amount in Box 5 of the SSA-1099.  

Up to 85% of the Social Security benefits you receive can be taxable income based on the other income on the return.

The amount in Box 5 cannot be netted against Social Security paid in on the pay-stubs during the year.  If you did this, IRS may send you a letter due to the SSA-1099 not matching and would adjust the tax on the return, with interest and possibly penalty.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You have to report the amount in Box 5 of the SSA-1099.  

Up to 85% of the Social Security benefits you receive can be taxable income based on the other income on the return.

The amount in Box 5 cannot be netted against Social Security paid in on the pay-stubs during the year.  If you did this, IRS may send you a letter due to the SSA-1099 not matching and would adjust the tax on the return, with interest and possibly penalty.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies