turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

On form ssa-1099, the amount in box 5 includes the 2015 payment. Should I report 0 for 2015?

At the bottom of the description box the following appears: * Includes $xxxx paid in 2016 for 2015.  If I enter this amount for 2015 wouldn't it increase the earnings in 2016 and possibly add to my taxes?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

On form ssa-1099, the amount in box 5 includes the 2015 payment. Should I report 0 for 2015?

No, you should not report zero for the 2015 payment.

You should enter the amount as it was reported to you on your form.  There will be a question regarding whether you received a lump-sum payment for a prior year.  Enter the information about that payment there and answer the follow-up questions.  This will let TurboTax determine whether that lump-sum payment would have been taxable in that prior year if it had been received during that year. 

The lump-sum amount will not be included on your 2016 return as if it were 2016 benefits. 

Take a look at the information below for more details.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4767454

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

No, you should not report zero for the 2015 payment.

You should enter the amount as it was reported to you on your form.  There will be a question regarding whether you received a lump-sum payment for a prior year.  Enter the information about that payment there and answer the follow-up questions.  This will let TurboTax determine whether that lump-sum payment would have been taxable in that prior year if it had been received during that year. 

The lump-sum amount will not be included on your 2016 return as if it were 2016 benefits. 

Take a look at the information below for more details.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4767454

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing

Related Content

Manage cookies