On form ssa-1099, the amount in box 5 includes the 2015 payment. Should I report 0 for 2015?

At the bottom of the description box the following appears: * Includes $xxxx paid in 2016 for 2015.  If I enter this amount for 2015 wouldn't it increase the earnings in 2016 and possibly add to my taxes?

AnnetteB

No, you should not report zero for the 2015 payment.

You should enter the amount as it was reported to you on your form.  There will be a question regarding whether you received a lump-sum payment for a prior year.  Enter the information about that payment there and answer the follow-up questions.  This will let TurboTax determine whether that lump-sum payment would have been taxable in that prior year if it had been received during that year. 

The lump-sum amount will not be included on your 2016 return as if it were 2016 benefits. 

Take a look at the information below for more details.

AnnetteB

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing