turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

traffakk

401k withdrawal spouse disabled

My husband to out an early withdrawal from his 401K to help with expenses due to my disability.  Are we able to use the exception of the 10 percent since it's from his 401K not mine?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

No, you cannot, unfortunately. Only the owner of the retirement account can take this exception.  In other words, you husband must be disabled if he takes his retirement out. It, unfortunately, is not allowed otherwise, even though you may be filing jointly. 

However, did you pay any medical expenses with the distribution money? The amount of unreimbursed medical expenses can qualify for 10% penalty exception... amount must be over 7.5 % AGI or over 10% if under age of 65.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

No, you cannot, unfortunately. Only the owner of the retirement account can take this exception.  In other words, you husband must be disabled if he takes his retirement out. It, unfortunately, is not allowed otherwise, even though you may be filing jointly. 

However, did you pay any medical expenses with the distribution money? The amount of unreimbursed medical expenses can qualify for 10% penalty exception... amount must be over 7.5 % AGI or over 10% if under age of 65.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies