turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I work for a school district in Pennsylvania. I have a retirement plan. I owe taxes this year. Can I open up a 401K now and reduce my tax liability?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I work for a school district in Pennsylvania. I have a retirement plan. I owe taxes this year. Can I open up a 401K now and reduce my tax liability?

No..not a 401k

But potentially a deductible IRA  in the next couple days.

But with a retirement plan at work, your ability to contribute to an IRA AND deduct it is limited by your  income:

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/2016-ira-contribution-and-deduction-l...

many places may require they have a check..in their hands by Monday, and you would need to tell them that it was for 2016...you waited far too long to deal with this......and hasty actions at the last minute can led to tax grief.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

1 Reply

No..not a 401k

But potentially a deductible IRA  in the next couple days.

But with a retirement plan at work, your ability to contribute to an IRA AND deduct it is limited by your  income:

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/2016-ira-contribution-and-deduction-l...

many places may require they have a check..in their hands by Monday, and you would need to tell them that it was for 2016...you waited far too long to deal with this......and hasty actions at the last minute can led to tax grief.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies