turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mlynmoore

If my IRA contributions are shown on my W-2 can I input those numbers into the Traditional IRA Contributions portion of the Deductions & Credits?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LindaA
Expert Alumni

If my IRA contributions are shown on my W-2 can I input those numbers into the Traditional IRA Contributions portion of the Deductions & Credits?

No. Contributions to your employer-sponsored retirement plan are already pre-tax, so you cannot claim them as a deduction on your tax return. If you contributed to your employer-sponsored plan, the information was reported on your W-2 in box 12. The code depends on the type of the plan:

• D: 401(k) plan
  • E: 403(b) plan
  • F: 408(k)(6) plan
  • G: 457(b) plan
  • S: 408(p) salary reduction SIMPLE retirement account
  • H: 501(c)(18)(D) plan
Note that an Individual Retirement Arrangement (IRA) is a retirement plan that you set up yourself and not an employer-sponsored retirement plan, such as a 401(k) plan.
ToriC90

But what if you have both an employment based retirement plan that is pre-taxed and a roth elective deferral? I do not believe my roth elective deferral is pre-tax but it is reported on my w2. 

@ToriC90 

No..not that either.

Those paycheck withholdings are not IRA or ROTH IRA contributions. The contributions done with your paycheck and noted in box 12, are entered only with your W-2 and nowhere else.

The IRA/RothIRA contributions section  on the Deductions& Credits page is ONLY for extra contributions you make yourself outside of any employers plan, to some separate account you may have set up..  

Note too that the max amount allowed to be contributed at the employer is usually ~2.5x   greater than for the IRA/Roth IRA contribution section..

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies