turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

evetz

I will be retiring from civil service this year, age 57 will I pay the penalty when withdrawing my monthly TSP before 59 1/2?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

I will be retiring from civil service this year, age 57 will I pay the penalty when withdrawing my monthly TSP before 59 1/2?

No.  Because the TPS is the plan of the employer from which you will be separating from service in or after the age you reached age 55, you'll qualify for the age-55 exception to the early-distribution penalty.  The TSP should know your age at separation from service and use code 2 on the Forms 1099-R they send to you for distributions made prior to you reaching age 59½, indicating that you qualify for this exception, but if they use code 1 you can claim exception code 01 on line 2 of Form 5329 to eliminate the penalty.

If you take periodic distributions as an annuity, you'll also qualify for the exception for a series of substantially equal periodic payments.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

No.  Because the TPS is the plan of the employer from which you will be separating from service in or after the age you reached age 55, you'll qualify for the age-55 exception to the early-distribution penalty.  The TSP should know your age at separation from service and use code 2 on the Forms 1099-R they send to you for distributions made prior to you reaching age 59½, indicating that you qualify for this exception, but if they use code 1 you can claim exception code 01 on line 2 of Form 5329 to eliminate the penalty.

If you take periodic distributions as an annuity, you'll also qualify for the exception for a series of substantially equal periodic payments.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies