lewiskemp8

New york taxes were not witheld from my federal government pension why do I owe them this year . I never had to pay it in previous years. Has the law changed?

IsabellaG

You are correct that New York does not tax employee pensions from the federal government. See page 11 of New York Publication 36 and the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance link.

Did you report your federal annuity payment as a regular 1099-R, or did you report it as a CSA 1099-R, Civil Service Annuity? See the screenshot below. If you report it as a Civil Service Annuity, it should not be taxed by New York State.

IsabellaG