Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Where on the NJ State Return do you adjust for a withdrawal due to an excess contribution to a traditional IRA that was returned in the same year?

For assistance, contact turboTAX support here  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact">https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact</a>
@dmertz  OR, perhaps someone else on the forum will know what's going on and what the correction is.

Where on the NJ State Return do you adjust for a withdrawal due to an excess contribution to a traditional IRA that was returned in the same year?

Thank you for your assistance. I greatly appreciate it. By the way, can you tell me the name of the other tax program you were using? I may want to switch next year.

We're not allowed to name or recommend other software on this forum.

I didn't think so, but thought I would try.  Thank you again for all of your help.  I couldn't figure out how to contact @dmertz directly, so I had TurboxTax call me.  I am waiting for an expert to call me back.  Have a good night.
BK-Tax

@cacarson  did you ever figure this out. I am in the same boat now, if you an comment on how you were able to fix this.

There is a simple, or maybe not so simple solution to this.
File the Fed return only. Wait for your fed return to be ACCEPTED
then uncheck the box. File the state return.

It's been a year, but I had t call TurboTax support for help.  I believe what we finally did is on the NJ State return, there is a Pensions wks.  There is a box you can check if it is non-taxable.  I put a check in that box.  Hope this helps.
BK-Tax

@cacarson I tried this before. In my case i have a gain of $35, I am guessing should be taxable. So when i check that box there is no entry in the lines 20a,20b(withdrawals) on the NJ 1040. I don't see it recorded anywhere else on the NJ1040 either. Did you have the $6414 or $86 reported any where on the NJ 1040

Neither figure was reported anywhere on the NJ 1040 Tax return.  The $6414 did not appear on the NJ 1040 because on the NJ's Pension wks-TP I checked the box that it was not taxable.  In terms of the $86.00, I was told that you cannot deduct a loss related to a return of excess contribution (even though the value decreased) because it wasn't qualified to begin with.  The $86.00 didn't appear on my 1099-R either.  

Since you have a gain, does your 1099-R have an amount in 2a (taxable amount).  Mine was 0 (zero), probably because I had a loss.  Turboxtax support may be able to provide more assistance.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies