Solved: Need to add 401k

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
acruce04252025

Need to add 401k

at the beginning it asks if you have  401k roth? I said no because I didnt relise it started coming out of check 2016 as well... how do i go back to add this and will I find this on w-2 or only on pay stub
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LindaA
Level 10

Need to add 401k

Don't confuse a Roth 401(k) with a Roth IRA (Individual Retirement Arrangement). Although they are both Roth plans (non-deductible), they are not the same thing, and their contributions are covered in different sections of TurboTax. While you contribute to a Roth 401(k) at work, you set up a Roth IRA on your own, with your bank or other financial institution. Contributions to your Roth 401(k) are reported on your W-2 in Box 12 with code AA. You only need to enter this information in the W-2 section of TurboTax. Please see the FAQ below for instructions. 

How do I fill out the Box 12 information from my W-2?  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4785646

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LindaA
Level 10

Need to add 401k

Don't confuse a Roth 401(k) with a Roth IRA (Individual Retirement Arrangement). Although they are both Roth plans (non-deductible), they are not the same thing, and their contributions are covered in different sections of TurboTax. While you contribute to a Roth 401(k) at work, you set up a Roth IRA on your own, with your bank or other financial institution. Contributions to your Roth 401(k) are reported on your W-2 in Box 12 with code AA. You only need to enter this information in the W-2 section of TurboTax. Please see the FAQ below for instructions. 

How do I fill out the Box 12 information from my W-2?  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4785646

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings