Solved: My wife's father had a bank account for my wife. He died. The money was transferred to my wife. Does she have to report this as income? If so, how?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tdkguitar
Returning Member

My wife's father had a bank account for my wife. He died. The money was transferred to my wife. Does she have to report this as income? If so, how?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KittyM
Level 2

My wife's father had a bank account for my wife. He died. The money was transferred to my wife. Does she have to report this as income? If so, how?

If your inheritance is cash, it is not taxable and is not reported on your tax returns.

For your further information, I have included the following:

If you inherit property that produces income such as interest, dividends, or rent, that income is taxable and reportable on your Federal and State returns.

If you have received stock or a house, the sale is reported and income is taxable.  If you inherited an IRA (individual retirement account) or a qualified plan such as 401(k), the amount is taxable according to the 1099-R you will receive.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KittyM
Level 2

If your inheritance is cash, it is not taxable and is not reported on your tax returns.

For your further information, I have included the following:

If you inherit property that produces income such as interest, dividends, or rent, that income is taxable and reportable on your Federal and State returns.

If you have received stock or a house, the sale is reported and income is taxable.  If you inherited an IRA (individual retirement account) or a qualified plan such as 401(k), the amount is taxable according to the 1099-R you will receive.

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings