Solved: My wife's father had a bank account for my wife. He died. The money was transferred to my wife. Does she have to report this as income? If so, how?

tdkguitar

My wife's father had a bank account for my wife. He died. The money was transferred to my wife. Does she have to report this as income? If so, how?

KittyM

If your inheritance is cash, it is not taxable and is not reported on your tax returns.

For your further information, I have included the following:

If you inherit property that produces income such as interest, dividends, or rent, that income is taxable and reportable on your Federal and State returns.

If you have received stock or a house, the sale is reported and income is taxable.  If you inherited an IRA (individual retirement account) or a qualified plan such as 401(k), the amount is taxable according to the 1099-R you will receive.

KittyM