My wife is a care taker for her disable mother and is not an dependent b/c of income limitations. Can we claim medical deductions pro-rated share of meals and housing?

Pro-rated share would be actual cost of her meals and the square footage of the home that is used for her care.

Alumni bwa
Alumni

If your wife provides more than 1/2 of Mom's support then medical expenses she pays for Mom are deductible by her.  Pro-rata meals and housing are not deductible even if Mom were to be a dependent.

Alumni bwa
Alumni

Thanks for you prompt response. Is the provide more than 1/2 the support test a requirement for non-dependents? We would like to claim a medical deduction for the customization portion of the purchase of a mobility van.

Alumni bwa
Alumni

Is the provide more than 1/2 the support test a requirement for non-dependents?

Yes, it is.  She could be a "medical dependent" if she is your dependent except for her income.  That means you still have to provide more than 1/2 of her support.