turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife got a 1099-R Form in the mail. She took out a 401K loan for $3300, and is paying it backwith weekly deductions from her paycheck. Does this need to be reported?

She's been paying the loan back and is not in default on it. Should she even have gotten a 1099-R for a loan?  She's had one in the past and never got a 1099 for it. Is this a mistake, and if so, how is it corrected? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

My wife got a 1099-R Form in the mail. She took out a 401K loan for $3300, and is paying it backwith weekly deductions from her paycheck. Does this need to be reported?

Which boxes are filled in on the 1099-R?
dmertz
Level 15

The Form 1099-R must be reported on your tax return.

What is the code in box 7 of the Form 1099-R provided by the payer?

Box 7 shows  L1
dmertz
Level 15

Yes, this needs to be reported on your wife's (your joint) tax return.

Codes L1 an 1 indicate that the 401(k) plan has issued a deemed distributions for defaulting on the loan, causing the outstanding loan balance to be taxable and subject an early distribution penalty.  A default occurs when the a loan payment is missed and the repayment shortfall is not made up within the grace period, usually 60 days; making up the shortfall after the grace period does not undo the deemed distribution.  The taxable amount of the distribution shown in box 2a of the Form 1099-R will be included on Form 1040 line 16b and the 10% early distribution penalty will appear on Form 1040 line 59.

A deemed distribution only makes the loan amount taxable.  It does not satisfy the loan, so your wife is still required to pay back the loan.  Loan repayments made after the deemed distribution become after-tax basis in her qualified retirement plan.  When she eventually receives distributions from the plan, a portion of each distribution will be a nontaxable distribution of her after-tax basis and the remainder of each distribution will be taxable (and potentially subject to an early-distribution penalty).  This means that taxes are not paid on the same money twice.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies