turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife and I divorced last year. All income for year was my paycheck. Wife made charitable contributions from checking account. Which of us can deduct contributions?

W2 is in my name and I am entering all income on my tax return. My wife did not earn any money. The charitable contributions are in my wife's name but came out of our joint checking account and was paid for by funds from the income I am reporting on the tax return. My wife is not reporting any income. We have already agreed that I will take the entire home mortgage interest deduction on the house and state income taxes...just not sure about the charitable donations.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My wife and I divorced last year. All income for year was my paycheck. Wife made charitable contributions from checking account. Which of us can deduct contributions?

If you paid the charitable donations, even though they were in her name on the receipt, you can take them.  If any one donations was $250 or more you will need documentation to support it.  So if the receipts were in your wife's name then you will just need those receipts and your bank statements. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you paid the charitable donations, even though they were in her name on the receipt, you can take them.  If any one donations was $250 or more you will need documentation to support it.  So if the receipts were in your wife's name then you will just need those receipts and your bank statements. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies