raelshadow

My wife and I divorced last year. All income for year was my paycheck. Wife made charitable contributions from checking account. Which of us can deduct contributions?

W2 is in my name and I am entering all income on my tax return. My wife did not earn any money. The charitable contributions are in my wife's name but came out of our joint checking account and was paid for by funds from the income I am reporting on the tax return. My wife is not reporting any income. We have already agreed that I will take the entire home mortgage interest deduction on the house and state income taxes...just not sure about the charitable donations.

Vanessa

If you paid the charitable donations, even though they were in her name on the receipt, you can take them.  If any one donations was $250 or more you will need documentation to support it.  So if the receipts were in your wife's name then you will just need those receipts and your bank statements. 

Vanessa