turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mg3401

My wife and i cashed in our traditional ira. there zero lossess and zero gains. do we still have to pay taxes as ordinary income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KenH1

My wife and i cashed in our traditional ira. there zero lossess and zero gains. do we still have to pay taxes as ordinary income?

Yes.  Gains and losses, interest, and dividends within retirement accounts are meaningless.   Money going in was never taxed, so it's taxed on the way out. You should receive a 1099-R for this purpose.

The opposite is true for regular brokerage accounts, which is why they send out 1099-B, 1099-INT, and 1099-DIV.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KenH1

Yes.  Gains and losses, interest, and dividends within retirement accounts are meaningless.   Money going in was never taxed, so it's taxed on the way out. You should receive a 1099-R for this purpose.

The opposite is true for regular brokerage accounts, which is why they send out 1099-B, 1099-INT, and 1099-DIV.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies