turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dietzgw

My wife and I are retired and on Social Security. A local marketing company used us in a photo shoot and paid us each $50. I'm not sure where to report this in TurboTax

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My wife and I are retired and on Social Security. A local marketing company used us in a photo shoot and paid us each $50. I'm not sure where to report this in TurboTax

Did you receive a 1099-MISC? If you didn't then this is easy.

1. Go to Federal->Wages & Income->Less Common Income, and click on the line item "Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C".

2. On the next screen, go to the bottom and click on Start for "Other reportable income".

3. Answer "yes" to the "do you REALLY have other income?"

4. Finally, you get to enter the description and the amount.

But if you do receive a 1099-MISC and they put the amount in box 3, just go to "Other Common Income" on the Wages & Income screen, and choose Form 1099-MISC. You can enter box 3 income in here.

But if you received a 1099-MISC and the $100 was in box 7, then TurboTax is going to think that you have a business and want you to file a Schedule C.

Unless you are professional models, however, this is not the case. If you get the 1099-MISC with an amount in box 7, don't enter the 1099-MISC under self-employment; instead just do the first four instructions above. If the IRS ever asks, you can explain that this was not for profit nor something that you did on a regular basis.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Did you receive a 1099-MISC? If you didn't then this is easy.

1. Go to Federal->Wages & Income->Less Common Income, and click on the line item "Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C".

2. On the next screen, go to the bottom and click on Start for "Other reportable income".

3. Answer "yes" to the "do you REALLY have other income?"

4. Finally, you get to enter the description and the amount.

But if you do receive a 1099-MISC and they put the amount in box 3, just go to "Other Common Income" on the Wages & Income screen, and choose Form 1099-MISC. You can enter box 3 income in here.

But if you received a 1099-MISC and the $100 was in box 7, then TurboTax is going to think that you have a business and want you to file a Schedule C.

Unless you are professional models, however, this is not the case. If you get the 1099-MISC with an amount in box 7, don't enter the 1099-MISC under self-employment; instead just do the first four instructions above. If the IRS ever asks, you can explain that this was not for profit nor something that you did on a regular basis.

dietzgw

No. We did not receive a 1099 or any forms.  This was a 1 time thing.  They did request our SSN's for payment but we did not receive a 1099.
dietzgw

Thanks for the answer.  This is what I needed.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies