turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My spouse collects social security benefits. Does that income need to be reported for 2017? It was her only source of income.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

My spouse collects social security benefits. Does that income need to be reported for 2017? It was her only source of income.

Social security only becomes taxable when added to sufficient other income, including the spouse's income. If you are otherwise required to file a tax return, you do need to enter her social security  in Turbotax (TT). TT will determine the taxable portion, if any.

Social security (including SSDI) becomes taxable when your income, including 1/2 your social security, reaches:

Married Filing Jointly(MFJ): $32,000

Single or head of household: $25,000

Married Filing Separately and lived with your spouse at any time during the tax year: $0

After TurboTax (TT) calculates the taxable portion of SS, it puts the total amount of SS on line 20a of form 1040 and the taxable amount on line 20b (lines 14a&b of form 1040A). TT also produces a worksheet  to show how the taxable amount is calculated. Although most people pay tax on 85% of their SS. it can be less for lower income taxpayers.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

If you are filing a joint return, and the only income to be reported on that joint return is social security, then no return needs to be filed at all. Otherwise, yes you have to include the SS income. Filing separate returns won't help either, as the IRS closed that loophole.

You are filing as Married Filing Jointly, correct?
Hal_Al
Level 15

Social security only becomes taxable when added to sufficient other income, including the spouse's income. If you are otherwise required to file a tax return, you do need to enter her social security  in Turbotax (TT). TT will determine the taxable portion, if any.

Social security (including SSDI) becomes taxable when your income, including 1/2 your social security, reaches:

Married Filing Jointly(MFJ): $32,000

Single or head of household: $25,000

Married Filing Separately and lived with your spouse at any time during the tax year: $0

After TurboTax (TT) calculates the taxable portion of SS, it puts the total amount of SS on line 20a of form 1040 and the taxable amount on line 20b (lines 14a&b of form 1040A). TT also produces a worksheet  to show how the taxable amount is calculated. Although most people pay tax on 85% of their SS. it can be less for lower income taxpayers.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies