turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My son had a heart defect at birth, he was born last June, when asked if any of these apply for 2016 "was disabled" do I check yes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

My son had a heart defect at birth, he was born last June, when asked if any of these apply for 2016 "was disabled" do I check yes?

My son was born with Tetralogy of Fallot, so I know what you are going through.  I wish you well.

I certainly hope that your son does not meet the IRS definition of Totally and Permanently Disabled, which is:

"Permanently and totally disabled. Your child is permanently and totally disabled if both of the following apply.

He or she can't engage in any substantial gainful activity because of a physical or mental condition.

A doctor determines the condition has lasted or can be expected to last continuously for at least a year or can lead to death."

In truth, as long as a child is under age 13, it doesn't matter whether you indicate disabled or not.  There is no special tax treatment for a child under 13 just because that child is determined to be disabled.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies