turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cfucile2

My mass state tax went down 3500 dollars because i lived in mass for 4 months and new hampshire for the rest of the year why did it drop so much where does that money go?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
KurtL1
Expert Alumni

My mass state tax went down 3500 dollars because i lived in mass for 4 months and new hampshire for the rest of the year why did it drop so much where does that money go?

Is the drop in the Massachusetts state taxes the difference from prior year or the change in the estimated taxes owe showing at the top of the page in the software?

The estimated refund or amount due at the top of the screen is based on the information you have entered up to the point in time. As you enter additional information the amounts at the top of the screen will change.

You will need to file Part-Year returns for both Massachusetts and New Hampshire. 

When you selected the state to enter in the program it asked you what type of return you wanted to file. You should have selected that you wanted to file a "Part-Year" return, It will then ask you for dates you resided in the state. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You are posting from TurboTax Live.  You can arrange for the Live help you are paying the extra fee for with your questions …

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4124827-how-do-i-connect-with-a-tax-expert-in-turbotax-live

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies