turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My kid earned $1k babysitting, which qualified as household wages, i.e. no self-employment tax. She contributed the $1k to a Roth IRA. Does she need to file a tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

My kid earned $1k babysitting, which qualified as household wages, i.e. no self-employment tax. She contributed the $1k to a Roth IRA. Does she need to file a tax return?

No.

But she may want to anyway, to document eligibility for the Roth IRA contribution, particularly if she was paid in cash and has no other accounting records for her earned income.

She is only a household employee if she baby sat in other people's homes and not her own.

In TurboTax, enter at:

Federal Taxes

Click on Wages and Income

Scroll down to Less Common Income

On Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C click the start button

On the next screen click the start button on Other Income not already reported on Form W-2 or Form 1099

Answer Yes on the next screen and continue the interview until it completes.

TurboTax puts the amount on line 1 (wages) of form 1040 (line 7 prior to 2018) with the notation “HSH”. It is considered earned income.

On the other hand, you may not want to wave a red flag at the IRS. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

No.

But she may want to anyway, to document eligibility for the Roth IRA contribution, particularly if she was paid in cash and has no other accounting records for her earned income.

She is only a household employee if she baby sat in other people's homes and not her own.

In TurboTax, enter at:

Federal Taxes

Click on Wages and Income

Scroll down to Less Common Income

On Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C click the start button

On the next screen click the start button on Other Income not already reported on Form W-2 or Form 1099

Answer Yes on the next screen and continue the interview until it completes.

TurboTax puts the amount on line 1 (wages) of form 1040 (line 7 prior to 2018) with the notation “HSH”. It is considered earned income.

On the other hand, you may not want to wave a red flag at the IRS. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies