Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My IRA to Roth IRA conversion had non-taxable amounts, but the 1099R form said undetermined and put the whole amount. Where do I adjust?

I had a small amount of non-deductable traditional IRAs. Is that total deducted from the tax I owe for converting my IRA to a Roth.  If so, can I change the amount taxable on your form?  The 1099R was filled in by Vanguard with the total conversion (or is it considered a roll over?), but they also marked the tax undetermined box.   Where is the Form 8606 in turbo tax premier?

Also does the transfer of money in a prior year from a deferred plan change anything?

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My IRA to Roth IRA conversion had non-taxable amounts, but the 1099R form said undetermined and put the whole amount. Where do I adjust?

Premier is supposed to be more helpful but it appears not to be.

After entering 1099-R for conversion you have to tell turbotax you have a "prior years basis" aka non-deductible contributions, and what the amount of that basis is.
TurboTax will then generate 8606.

By the way, you must use Step-by-Step.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Premier is supposed to be more helpful but it appears not to be.

After entering 1099-R for conversion you have to tell turbotax you have a "prior years basis" aka non-deductible contributions, and what the amount of that basis is.
TurboTax will then generate 8606.

By the way, you must use Step-by-Step.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies