Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband just started getting social security and not working. I am still working full time. We wanted to know about suggesting withholding on his social security

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My husband just started getting social security and not working. I am still working full time. We wanted to know about suggesting withholding on his social security

There's no really easy way to tell what % he might need to have withheld..

You could try the tax calculator at the following....but where it asks for 2019 values, you would put in your expected 2020 values and see if taxes due come up short or not.  Repeat using it several times as you experience how it works.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/

Or you could just start out at a nominal 15% or 20% Federal withholding, and see what happens when you file 2020 taxes at tax time in early 2021...then Up the % or Lower it next year depending on whether you owe, or get a refund. 

IF he's started getting a pension too, if the monthly total of SS + Pension approximates his former salary, then just have the ~ same % withheld from both....same % as what Federal income taxes were being from his salary before retirement.  Then adjust higher or lower after you file your 2020 taxes and know what your situation is at that time.

...or if monthly  pension plus SS is ~1/2 his former salary, chop 5 or 10% off that former withholding %

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I thought SS allowed even 5% amounts for withholding, but Double-checking what SS allows now...they will only accept 7, 10, 12 or 22%  (or none) ...so you'd have to choose from those.

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/planner/taxwithold.html

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies