turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

toni-lang

My husband is 62 and this year he took money out of his 401K. He immediately transferred it into 2 different IRAs. We have 2 form 5498s. Do I need to report this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Employee Tax Expert

My husband is 62 and this year he took money out of his 401K. He immediately transferred it into 2 different IRAs. We have 2 form 5498s. Do I need to report this?

You may not have to report the information on Form 5498, but if there is an entry in box 1 for contributions to a Traditional IRA, you may be able to deduct it.If he has a 1099-R for the distribution from his 401-k, he needs to report that.

If the proceeds were rolled over to the IRAs, there is a place to show that in the TurboTax interview. The question you will see is What did you do with the money? and you can answer that it was rolled over.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
IsabellaG
Employee Tax Expert

You may not have to report the information on Form 5498, but if there is an entry in box 1 for contributions to a Traditional IRA, you may be able to deduct it.If he has a 1099-R for the distribution from his 401-k, he needs to report that.

If the proceeds were rolled over to the IRAs, there is a place to show that in the TurboTax interview. The question you will see is What did you do with the money? and you can answer that it was rolled over.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies