Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband is 61 and took a distribution from his IRA. TurboTax is saying that he needs to pay a 10% penalty because he is less than 59 1/2. How do I get this changed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My husband is 61 and took a distribution from his IRA. TurboTax is saying that he needs to pay a 10% penalty because he is less than 59 1/2. How do I get this changed?

First of my info tab make sure you have the correct date of birth for him then in the 1099 entry section please make sure you've indicated it's his 1099 -R and not yours.

Thank you for the information.  I confirmed and re-entered his date of birth and verified that the 1099-R is for him and I am still receiving the following message:  

Double check Box 7 and the IRA box on your 1099-R
Code 7 indicates a normal distribution, which is unusual because you aren’t 59 1/2 yet and you also checked the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box.

dmertz
Level 15

If you are under age 59½, make sure that you have tagged the 1099-R in TurboTax as being his 1099-R and not yours.  (This is likely the issue.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies