turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

russol01

My father did not take his RMD prior to his death. Per our financial advisor, his beneficiaries were required to take it. Where do I report this on the return?

I was told that I would include the beneficiaries SSNs when I filed the tax return.  I only see a comments area in the waiver section. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My father did not take his RMD prior to his death. Per our financial advisor, his beneficiaries were required to take it. Where do I report this on the return?

In what year did you take the distribution from the Inherited account?  If 2015, did you not receive a Form 1099-R?
What are you looking at where there is a "waiver" section - are you talking about TurboTax or a form?
If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.

First the account should be changed to a benificuary account in your fathers name with you as benificuary.

Assuming the RMD was not taken in 2015.

You should take the RMD distribution in 2016 as a beneficiary from the beneficiary account ASAP, you will receive a 1099-R next year that should be in your fathers name with you as beneficiary.    It should have a code "4"in box 7.   This will go on your 2016 tax return next year.

Future RMD distributions shoukd be based on *your*  single life expectancy as explained in IRS Pub 590B:
https://www.irs.gov/publications/p590b/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink1000230753

As far as the missed RMD, you can file a 5329 requesting a wavier of the penalty due to death.  Mail the 5329 separate from your tax return since it is dealing with an inherited IRA in your father name - I would write both your SSN and your fathers on the form and/or include that information in the explanation statement.

Download the 5329 form from the IRS website.  Print and mail your return with the 5329 form and explanation attached as described in the 5329 instructions.

From 5329 instructions:
Waiver of tax.   The IRS can waive part or all of this tax if you can show that any shortfall in the amount of distributions was due to reasonable error and you are taking reasonable steps to remedy the shortfall. If you believe you qualify for this relief, attach a statement of explanation and file Form 5329 as follows.
1. Complete lines 52 and 53 as instructed.
2. Enter “RC” and the amount you want waived in parentheses on the dotted line next to line 54. Subtract this amount from the total shortfall you figured without regard to the waiver, and enter the result on line 54.
3. Complete line 55 as instructed. You must pay any tax due that is reported on line 55.
  The IRS will review the information you provide and decide whether to grant your request for a waiver.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f5329.pdf
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i5329.pdf
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies