turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

missy0227
Returning Member

My disable boyfriend's and his daughter lives with me in my home. They both recieves social security and state assistance. Can I claim them?

I not sure if claiming them will jeopardize their state assistance.  Since he had a stroke, I am their primary caregiver.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My disable boyfriend's and his daughter lives with me in my home. They both recieves social security and state assistance. Can I claim them?

Possibly.  The rules for claiming another person who is not your qualifying child are below. If they meet those guidelines then yes you can claim them for tax purposes.  You will need to contact the state assistance office to determine if you claiming them as a dependent would jeopardize their assistance from the state. 

To claim a qualifying relative as a dependent, the following 4 tests must be met.

• They are not the “qualifying child” of another taxpayer or your “qualifying child.”
  • They earned less than $4,150 in 2018.
  • You provide more than half of the total support for the year.
  • The person (a friend, girlfriend, non-blood relative) must live with you all year as a member of your household or be related to you.

https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-deductions-and-credits-2/family/who-can-i-claim-as-a-dependent-...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Possibly.  The rules for claiming another person who is not your qualifying child are below. If they meet those guidelines then yes you can claim them for tax purposes.  You will need to contact the state assistance office to determine if you claiming them as a dependent would jeopardize their assistance from the state. 

To claim a qualifying relative as a dependent, the following 4 tests must be met.

• They are not the “qualifying child” of another taxpayer or your “qualifying child.”
  • They earned less than $4,150 in 2018.
  • You provide more than half of the total support for the year.
  • The person (a friend, girlfriend, non-blood relative) must live with you all year as a member of your household or be related to you.

https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-deductions-and-credits-2/family/who-can-i-claim-as-a-dependent-...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies