boylan17

My 4 year old child is collecting SSA benefits from my retirement. My spouse is also collecting benefits as his caretaker. Do I have to claim her benefit on my taxes?

The child's benefit is not included with my tax return, my question is if my spouse's benefit must be included with our joint return. She has no other income. I received 1099-R's for all of us. Thanks.

ChristinaS

Yes, if you and your spouse are filing a joint return. On a joint return, all of your income and your spouse's income must be included. You would not leave your spouse's 1099 off of your joint return. Even if she only has a small amount of income, all of it must be accounted for on your joint return.

ChristinaS