• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
evan1

My 16 year old made $2500, received $41 in interest and payed $14 for early withdrawal of $500 from his savings account. Does he need to file taxes separately?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

My 16 year old made $2500, received $41 in interest and payed $14 for early withdrawal of $500 from his savings account. Does he need to file taxes separately?

It depends.

If he received a form 1099-MISC for his earnings of $2,500, he is required to file a tax return as this is self-employment income.

If he received a form W-2 for the $2,500, he is not required to file his own return as the wages were less than $6,300. However, he may wish to file a return to get a refund of the taxes withheld. When filing his own return, he needs to indicate that he is claimed as a dependent by someone else.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

It depends.

If he received a form 1099-MISC for his earnings of $2,500, he is required to file a tax return as this is self-employment income.

If he received a form W-2 for the $2,500, he is not required to file his own return as the wages were less than $6,300. However, he may wish to file a return to get a refund of the taxes withheld. When filing his own return, he needs to indicate that he is claimed as a dependent by someone else.

evan1

It was W-2 income. Thank you
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

UPDATED FOR TAX YEAR 2019

No.  He does not need to file, unless the $2,500 was for self-employment income reported on a 1099-MISC.

If children are still considered your dependents they must file if:

• Their unearned income is greater than $1,100 (like interest and dividends);
  • Their earned income is greater than $12,200 (from a job, reported on a W-2); or
  • They received a 1099-MISC and their net earnings from self­-employment was at least $400.

[Edited | 4/8/2020 |  12:25pm PDT]

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v